I hope you are preparing for a weekend of getting pampered and loved on!! I believe everyday is Mother’s Day because I seriously adore my brats…I mean kids! 🙂
It truly is a blessing to be a mom and I take my responsibility very seriously! I also think while we are raising our children, we are also raising ourselves! Being a mother is a lifelong class…we are always learning and these precious kids are our teachers.
“Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother.”
These words should encourage us…but to be honest…THEY SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!! Because motherhood does not come with a manual!! We can read all the books, hear all the advice, attend all the support groups…but then we still have to be mom!
They say instincts kick in, and most of the time they do…
But what about when they don’t?
Or what about post partum depression?
What about unsupportive spouses/family?
How do you handle surprises, like heart surgery?
Do instincts “kick in” during times like these?
I don’t have all the answers. But I do believe sharing experiences helps. I have learned so much from other moms and I know my experiences have helped some of them, too!
So you get to be celebrated this weekend, I want to share some of my advice on being a happy mom:
1. Forgive yourself! Having a bad day or a bad moment does NOT make you a bad mom! Go easier on yourself so you can move on!
2. Remember “this too shall pass”! Each stage of our children’s lives is also a stage for us as mothers. There are lots of good stages…and during the touch ones, just remember you are strong enough to endure it!
3. You are NOT supermom!! Multi-tasking is overrated! When you try to do everything at once, you are not able to give your full attention and/or energy to it. Take a breath, ask for help, and quit trying to be everything for everyone!
4. Let go of perfection! Seriously!! LET IT GOOOOO!!!! Perfection is not real…we are all regular people that are just trying our best. Even the movie stars that seem to have it all together don’t!! It’s portrayed that way, but come now…life is messy and motherhood is crazy! It’s ok!
5. Love yourself!! You are beautiful, brilliant, and important! Our kids watch us and they pay attention to everything! You know that…so let them watch you be kind to your body, your mind, and your heart!
Your happiness means so much to me!! My heart breaks when moms feel unloved, unappreciated, and unimportant. I have learned to be a HAPPIER ME which has made me a HAPPIER MOM! It’s amazing what love can do!
And speaking of LOVE, I wanted to share something super cool with you! I always try to find ways of teaching my kids to love and spread kindness. Sometimes it’s hard to find volunteer opportunities where kids can help. My girls have a heart for orphan/foster kids. They recently had a lemonade stand, made about $14 and donated it to a local foster care…they make me so proud!!
I recently found this awesome company called Little Loving Hands! Each month you receive a box with a craft to make. While you and your kids are creating something fun, you can teach them why they are making it and who they are helping. Amazing, right? For May, the craft is a dreamcatcher ornament and it will be supporting kids in foster care!!! I hope you will check them out!
And have a super HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!